Tennessee Jump$tart is closely monitoring COVID-19 and its potential impact on June’s educator conference. At this point we are continuing with the planning of the conference and hope that we will have the opportunity to see everyone in Gatlinburg. If circumstances change and a decision is made to postpone/cancel the conference, we will notify conference participants. We appreciate your patience and support.
Tennessee Jump$tart Personal Financial Education
16th Annual Conference
"Money and the Mountains"
June 10-12, 2020 – Park Vista Hotel – Gatlinburg, TN
The Premier Personal Finance Conference in Tennessee!
Why Should I Attend?
If you teach personal finance or want to learn more about personal finance concepts and resources, this conference is for you! And, you will be able to:
· Be part of a community of personal finance education professionals
· Obtain high quality professional development
· Network with others involved in personal financial education
· Have fun while learning
· Gain the credentialing to teach TN high school personal finance course (successfully completing the conference provides the credentialing)
· 10 hours of TASL (Tennessee Academy for School Leaders) credit approved
· Attain the W!SE National Financial Literacy Certification Testing –the only TN testing location! See details below
· Obtain new, high quality educational resources and lessons
· Attend great sessions by educators and industry professionals
· Interact with personal finance vendor exhibits
· Participate in fun activities: QR Code Quest, Exhibitor Scavenger Hunt
· Win door prizes and eat fabulous food!
· Meet award winning educators (This could be you! To apply, visit www.jumpstarttn.org and see Teacher of the Year under Activities)
· See beautiful scenery (and you might see a bear!)
Who Can Attend the Conference?
Conference is open to all financial educators and practitioners. Whether you are a teacher or administrator at a public school, private school, home school, or student teacher, or are an outreach specialist at a community organization, non-profit, or business - this conference is for you!
The first 100 TENNESSEE K-12 educators and/or nonprofit educators who register and pay will be eligible for a $150 travel/registration reimbursement stipend when they successfully complete the conference (attend all sessions).The $150 stipends will be provided at the conclusion of the conference upon successfully attending the entire conference. Travel/registration stipends are made possible through very generous contributions of Tennessee Jump$tart investors.
A conference agenda is availabe at www.jumpstarttn.org.
On-site conference check-in will begin at 10:00 a.m. ET (please note: Gatlinburg is on EASTERN TIME) on Wednesday, June 10. During this time exhibits will be open and the exhibitor scavenger hunt (for additional door prizes) can be completed. A networking lunch will be available from 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. prior to the opening session (this is a come & go lunch that will be available during this hour timeframe).
The conference sessions will run:
· Wednesday, June 10, from 12:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. ET (exhibits and check-in begin at 10:00 a.m.)
· Thursday, June 11, from 8:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m. ET
· Friday, June 12, from 8:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. ET
During the conference, the following meals will be provided for conference participants:
· Wednesday, June 10: networking Lunch, afternoon snack
· Thursday, June 11: continental breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack
· Friday, June 12: continental breakfast
What is the Cost and How Do I Register?
Registration fees are:
You can choose to pay either with credit/debit card online or submit a check or money order after you complete the online registration form. Checks and money orders should be mailed to: Tennessee Jump$tart, P.O. Box 190058, Nashville, TN 37219.
* Refunds are available until Friday, May 15*
Hotel Reservation Details
Hotel and travel expenses are the responsibility of the conference participant.
The conference hotel is the Park Vista Hotel in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. Staying at the conference hotel is not required. Participants are responsible for making their own reservations and paying for their own hotel rooms and incidentals. The Park Vista Hotel has generously agreed to provide a rate of $96 per night for Tuesday – Thursday nights and a limited number (first come) at this rate for Friday and Saturday nights. Rates are on a limited basis based on availability and subject to change based on changes to the government per diem rates.
Reservations to the room block must be made by Friday, May 15. After this time the room block will be released.
To make a hotel reservation at the Park Vista Hotel:
· Log into www.parkvista.com
· From the home page (mid-page)- you will see the “Make a Reservation” field. Choose arrival and departure dates, number of rooms requested and click Check Rates.
· Under the Special Accounts & Rates headeron the right hand side- you will enter booking code TJC in the group code field and click Continue.
· The group rates will be displayed along with the available room types- proceed with reservations as prompted
· Guests can also call 24/7- 1-800-421-7275 and provide the same group code TJC to the responding reservations agent.
Hotel Early Departure Fee
In the event that you check out prior to your reserved check out date, an early departure fee of $50 will be charged to your individual account. If you wish to avoid this fee, you must advise the hotel at or before check in.
What is the W!SE National Financial Certification Test and How Do I Register?
A collaborative effort between the Tennessee Jump$tart Coalition for Personal Financial Literacy and Working in Support of Education (W!SE) will allow teachers the unique opportunity to earn a National Certification in Personal Finance! Additional information about the W!SE Certification can be found at: http://www.wise-ny.org/.
This is an opportunity to gain additional credentialing to demonstrate your competence as a personal finance educator. The test will be administered on Friday, June 12.
You must be registered to attend this year's conference to take the W!SE certification test.
Prior to the conference there will be a webinar to learn more. Additionally, on Thursday morning of the conference, there will be a study session to help further prepare you for the test.
For the first 25 participants from Tennessee who register and pay, the test will be $25 (Tennessee Jump$tart is paying for half of the test expense – the normal cost of the test is $50!). Spaces are filled on a first come basis.
For participants from other states, the cost of the test is $50.
All educators who take the W!SE test will have FREE access for the upcoming school year to the W!SE Financial Literacy Certification program that allows high school students to become certified as financially literate.
To register for the W!SE certification test, see the test registration links in the registration section.
What if I Have Questions?
Please contact Jackie Morgan (Jackie.Morgan@atl.frb.org), Tennessee Jump$tart Conference Co-Chair.